Los Angeles is a city of belonging, and if there was ever a time in which this was clear, it was during the pandemic. COVID-19 showed us that communities across Los Angeles are united — in a city as vast as ours we still found ways to step up and support each other.
Now, to commemorate our collective experience, we’re launching a 3-day virtual event: Strength and Love, The City of Angels’ COVID-19 Memorial.
The memorial will be held Thursday, November 18, 2021 through November 20, 2021 to:
- HONOR those who held our city together, including first responders, essential workers, small businesses owners, community organizations, caregivers, neighbors, and families.
- REMEMBER those we have lost to the pandemic.
- MOBILIZE to give back to our communities and work together to build a stronger and more resilient city.
This memorial will give us an opportunity to reflect on how we have been impacted, recognize the resiliency within our communities, and find ways to connect and mobilize for a better future. Learn more about the memorial at LAMayor.org/COVIDMemorial.
Here are few ways that you can participate:
- Join the nightly activations at 8 p.m.
- Day 1, Honor: Clap for our city’s heroes outside with your friends and neighbors.
- Day 2, Remember: Light a candle in your window.
- Day 3, Mobilize: Wave a flashlight or phone light outside to make L.A. shine.
- Light up Los Angeles! From November 18-20, look up to see iconic buildings and landmarks lit up blue to mark the Strength and Love Memorial, including Los Angeles City Hall, Sofi Stadium, Dodger Stadium, the Grand Park Fountain and many more!
- Support the Strength and Love COVID-19 Memorial by displaying a FREE poster and sharing the social media graphics available in our digital toolkit. You can download posters and social media graphics here.
- Visit the memorial installation at the Griffith Observatory. A white flag installation will be placed at the front lawn to commemorate the lives lost in L.A. County. It will be open to the public all three days of the memorial.
- Contribute to the Los Angeles Public Library’s COVID-19 Community Archive. Share your stories, photos, artwork, or any images that represent your experience during this time. Submit here.
- Share your thoughts on the plans for a permanent COVID-19 Memorial. Complete the survey.
Don’t forget to post online using #StrengthandLoveLA!
COVID-19 has been the cause of so much hardship and loss, but I find comfort in knowing that our City of Angels is emerging from this crisis stronger and more united than ever.
For more information about Strength and Love, The City of Angels’ COVID-19 Memorial, visit LAMayor.org/COVIDMemorial.